Saturday, November 17, 2012

Photo Challenge

Back in April, Anna got a Canon Rebel (a pretty fancy camera) for her birthday.  I had always been happy with my little Canon point and shoot and just the thought of trying to figure out what all those crazy things like f-stops, apertures, and shutter speeds meant kept me away from her Rebel.
Then in August I went to work in Port Alsworth at The Farm Lodge.  The first week I was there I got to go bear viewing with my boss and a ranger from the park service who was observing how the bears act around people.  This was a once in a life opportunity and my little point and shoot just wouldn't do.  So one of the guys who works at the lodge too let me borrow his Rebel to take with me.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.
My boss tried to explain the basics and showed me a few things but I had no idea what he was talking about.  All I got out of it was there's this little dial you turn to adjust something?  I just turned it till I got the picture looking how I wanted.
I know now that I was just changing the shutter speed till the exposure was were I wanted it but having no idea at the time and not even understanding what anyone was talking about when they tried to explain it drove me crazy.  But I was amazed with how good the photos looked compared to what my point and shoot could have done.  So as soon as I got back I went and found a absolutely beginners guide to understanding the basics and I've been hooked ever since (as anyone following me on Pinterest knows☺).
I basically high jacked Anna's Rebel for the rest of the summer and had a lot of fun learning how to use it and taking a ton of pictures.  But now that it's winter and cold out I've still been reading different things on how to take better pictures but haven't actually been taking very many.  So, in an effort to take more pictures I've decided to give myself a photo challenge.
This just a random challenge I found floating around.  It's going on over here but I'm just doing it myself and not linking up.  I like this one because you only post one picture a week so maybe it'll actually get finished.  But then and again you never know because this is me and at present moment I'm utterly obsessed but you never know when that will change.  =)
                                   Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment